Our management team consists of investment and insurance professionals with over 100 years of experience.
Members of our team have deep experience in investment management and extensive knowledge of both the qualitative and quantitative aspects of catastrophe-linked portfolio management, through vast expertise with catastrophe risk modeling and academic experience in the relevant natural sciences (e.g. geosciences, atmospheric sciences, and climate modeling).
We believe in a risk-centric approach to investing in insurance linked securities. Rather than seeking a target return, we establish and maintain a consistent effective risk level, designing our portfolio to obtain that objective.
We therefore focus exclusively on natural event risks that are well-studied and subject to rigorous modeling, while aiming to minimize important ancillary risks such as counterparty credit, information asymmetry, and liquidity risks.
This investment philosophy animates and informs our intensive focus on Industry Loss Warranties.
Structure & Offerings
We operate multiple vehicles to allow investors to access our investment strategy. Each vehicle operates through Iris Reinsurance Ltd., a Class 3 Bermuda reinsurer, a wholly-owned affiliate that exclusively transacts on behalf of Cartesian Re entities.
Investors may choose a Cayman exempted limited partnership structure, a Delaware limited partnership structure, a Luxembourg investment company, or preferred shares listed in Bermuda.
- Cartesian Re is a family of companies operating in the Insurance Linked Securities industry seeking generate attractive risk-adjusted returns that are demonstrably uncorrelated with traditional asset classes.
- Cartesian Re operates multiple vehicles to allow investors to capture its investment strategy.
- Iris Reinsurance, Ltd., a Class 3 Bermuda re-insurer, enters into insurance-related contracts for the benefit of those vehicles.
- Cartesian Re Offshore Fund, L.P.: traditional open-ended fund structure with a consistent risk profile, organized as an exempted limited partnership in the Cayman Islands.
- Cartesian Re, L.P.: traditional open-ended fund structure with a consistent risk profile, organized as a limited partnership in Delaware.
- Cartesian Re ILS SICAV SIF: an umbrella specialized investment fund organized in Luxembourg as an investment company in the form of a corporate partnership.
- Iris Re ILS: insurance-linked non-voting, redeemable preferred shares of a segregated account of Iris Reinsurance, Ltd. listed on the Bermuda Stock Exchange.
- Managed accounts: customized accounts at Iris Reinsurance Ltd. to address the needs and risk/return profiles of particular institutional investors.